Manifesto Week 1


We were set a two week task for our personal manifesto and for our first week we focused on our background. I decided to focus on Nigeria, Ghana and England as I'm half Nigerian and Ghanian and was born in England so I did some research on the Nigerian and English Culture. I decided to leave out Ghana later on as I decided to focus my manifesto towards my mother as she is Nigerian. It was very intriguing researching the different cultures as since I was born in London, I was raised up in a multicultural area so I never fully understood my african culture. Comparing Nigerian culture to the UKs' culture, there were a lot of differences, only similarity being their religious background that i could see.


Using the information I gathered, I started planning out different ideas to do for my personal manifesto. I came up with 6 ideas that were related towards my mums background. i wanted to show the development of our culture from the past to the present to show how society has changed and how Nigerian culture changes in the UK. I noticed that the Nigerian culture in the past was more cultural as it originated in Nigeria but changed a bit for us in the UK as since its very multicultural here, the value of culture may have decreased. 











I chose my third idea and developed it by using photoshop to create the piece. I used my graphics tablet to draw the designs. On the left you can see a mask that was used in Nigeria for their culture as it related to religious and spiritual beliefs while on the right it was representing the present time where my mum is dressed, wearing a Gele which is for tradition on special occasions (she usually wears it for church or Nigerian parties/weddings). Overall I think the final outcome came out as expected as the composition worked well and the vibrant saturated colours make the artwork stand out. For improvements, the background could have been a lot more engaging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment