book cover design

the book cover design was probably the most enjoyable yet frustrating project I have done throughout the course. Reason being because I got to use my illustration skills to draw the characters which I enjoy doing, although I still like graphics but as a more illustration person, I was happy with this project and got to create what i wanted which was even better. We has to recreate book cover designs for an author, doing 3 book covers.

 To start of with I researched different book cover designs, looking at the different styles implemented in the covers for inspiration. I then looked at an author as i really liked their book cover design work. After I looked at comic book covers as it had the illustration aspects that I wanted to do for my own book covers related to an actual book series. i ended up choosing beast quest as I use to read this book when I was a child and it had characters and creatures which were very useful for my development.

I began sketching out different book cover designs and then used photoshop to further develop my book covers. I chose to do close up sketches of the main character as you get to see more detail and as he is the main focus. 

I really enjoyed creating the book covers and I like how I experimented with the shading and colours and how the character came out at the end. It was quite stressful drawing these all on the computer with my Wacom tablet but as i already had months of experience using it, it was still very calm when it came to creating the final outcomes. To improve upon, i would have tried adding more detail with the background design and the blurb as it looked quite unsatisfying for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment